Monday, April 1, 2013

We interrupt this blog ....

For those who have been patiently reading through my adventures as I've published them, I apologize for the long delay between posts. For those coming to this blog after the fact, hopefully you can just treat this as a weird intermission.
 
I have struggled to write about the last couple of days of our hike. I had a similar experience when writing about our hike on the Pennine Way.  In part, finishing the blog entries about the trip is like the end of the hike itself. There's a bit of a let down - having to return to the "real world."  I think the world when I'm hiking is more real than the world I return to when I finish. I would be happy to just wander the world on foot.
 
But, this time's post-perambulation let down has been much, much harder. My depression has been severe. Returning to normal life has been hard. Work is stressful. Life at home seems devoid of color in comparison. I miss my friend. 
 
Why has it been so hard? I don't quite know. I've been walking with depression for a long time (at least since being a teenager). It comes and goes - valleys and peaks. A lot of times I feel normal, and sometimes it just lurks below the surface. This time, though, is/was one of the worst - a pit of despair.
 
My tendency is to try to keep this hidden. People don't like being around depression. And who could blame them? I don't like being around it. I only wish I could walk away from it. I've tried all kinds of things over the years - counseling, pretending it doesn't exist, more counseling, medication, counseling again, sleeping a LOT, talking to a few select friends... It's a genetic thing for me unfortunately - a chemical imbalance in my brain. Or perhaps that's what makes it easier for me to live with it.
 
If you have never experienced a true depression, I envy you. The best description I've ever read of what depression is like was sent to me very recently by a dear friend. My own severity has lessened, but I'm not "normal" yet. The edge is duller though, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to write this. So, hopefully soon I will be able to get back to my writing here. Thanks for your patience! (actual publication date June 9, 2013)
 

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ruth...we missed you. I hope this marks the return to your blog. It may me a good outlet for you. If not I will patiently await your return.

    Take care.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Craig! Each day is a new battle. Some better than others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very powerful link, thank you for sharing it. Hoping a return trip to the east is in your future. Like Craig said, enjoying your posts and will be reading whenever they pop up.

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sonja! It's encouraging to know that people want to read my ramblings.... I hope I will get to go back east soon!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ruth.. Hope you are doing better and can get out hiking again soon. If you hear from Chuck tell him I said hi. I have sent him a few emails but have not heard back..Let me know if he sends you any mail drop info... Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lauren! I will let Chuck know you're thinking of him the next time I hear from him.

    ReplyDelete