Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Postscript to the AT

Chuck and I spent a day in Hiawassee before my friend, Jill, picked me up for my flight back to Colorado. It was a little frustrating to know that I had finished my hike only 9 miles short of the Georgia-North Carolina border, but such is the way of things when you have only a finite amount of time to hike.

It was a bright and sunny day. We checked out the stores advertising hiker supplies, wandered through the grocery store restocking Chuck's food, and just generally moseyed through town. Spring had definitely arrived, and I enjoyed seeing the flowering trees and hearing the busy birds.

We drank  coffee and played a little Scrabble in the local grocery store (I won't mention who won...).

We spent the last hour or so back at our hotel in the lobby where we ran into our friend, Chris. Chuck and I had joked that his walk made him look a little like a penguin, and so Chuck gave him the trail name of "Emperor."  I had not gotten a trail name in my short time on the trail. Emperor and Chuck had both independently suggested "Trooper" because, I assume, I was just such a good trooper despite the challenge and my lack of experience. I thought perhaps "Turtle" was more appropriate, but as I was leaving the trail, we didn't really settle on anything.

Around 7, Jill arrived to pick me up. We drove Chuck back up to Dicks Creek Gap and watched him hike off into the woods, a long journey ahead of him. I hoped his journey would continue to be filled with beauty and community, and I wished that I could continue with him.

My hike on the Appalachian Trail was filled with so many things: challenge, beauty, snow, sun, frustration, elation... Ultimately, I hope to continue hiking. It's good for my soul.
At journey's end

No comments:

Post a Comment