Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Stop: Cumming, GA!

In just over a week, Chuck and I fly to Atlanta to spend a couple of days with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Jill, and her family.  We then set off for the Appalachian Trail from Cumming (where Jill lives). I feel very fortunate that a friend I've wanted an excuse to visit lives close to our intended starting point.  In saying that, I really shouldn't need an excuse. I should just visit - I need to work on that.

Jill has kindly volunteered to take us to Amicalola Falls State Park. From there we can walk eight miles to get to the actual start of the trail on Springer Mountain.  I will be spending nine days walking before returning to civilization sans Chuck.

I am really looking forward to seeing Jill again. It's been many years since the last time we saw each other - thirteen maybe? Funny, I've known Jill since I was thirteen, and we haven't seen each other in thirteen years...  Jill is a true friend - the kind that you can let time go by (although I really shouldn't have) and yet when you reconnect, it's like no time has passed at all. Those are the friends you need to hold on to with all your might. I want to be better about being a persistent friend to the people who matter to me.

Chuck will likely spend his time at Jill's rearranging his pack and making excursions to the local Walmart for last minute supplies and food.  I'm just glad he is patient and willing to wait while I spend time catching up before we set off. I know he's excited to get started!

I am excited too, but it is almost bittersweet.  I am impatient to spend my days walking and being outside.  My hope is that I can recapture the feelings of wonder and of liberation that I felt while on the Pennine Way, albeit in a shorter period of time. At the same time, each day on the trail is one day closer to the time that I won't be able to spend almost every day with my best friend (at least not for the next six months).

A large part of me wishes that I were in a position to take off the time from work and experience life on the trail for six months.  But, I know my job won't wait for me (after all, if your job can be vacant for six months with little impact, is your position really needed??) and I am scared to find something new. I guess that's what I'm trying to work towards now - to be able to afford to live the way I want to live. So, for now, I plan to fit as much as I can in the short time I have with my far away (or soon-to-be far away) friends. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ruth,

    You sound happy and excited. It seems you have turned a corner of sorts and you have dealt with your post Pennine blues perfectly...filling your spare time planning for your next adventures.

    In doing so you have reconnected with your past and that is definitly a good thing.

    Like most of us you have given your career the attention it needed but now its your turn. You can likely still maintain a balance of work and play but a slight shift of your focus to you is fair.

    If you can now put as much effort into reconnecting with old friends and planning your future adventures as you did in building your career I predict you will have a happy balanced life.

    Good luck,

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Craig! I'm certainly giving it my best shot!
      Ruth

      Delete